Tuesday, February 03, 2015

Steampunk Musings Pt.4: Steam City Treasures

Are you prepared to meet another fantastic steampunk artist? If you're anything like me, your mind says YES and your wallet says NO. Personally, I've taken to hiding my wallet--or at least the credit card--because I just can't stop exploring these amazing websites.

Today's guest is the creator of a lovely shop called Steam City Treasures, Rachael Layne. Please give her a warm welcome!


1. How did you discover steampunk?

For many years, I loved Steampunk fashion but never knew exactly what it was. I discovered it online while browsing different types of fashions. I fell in love with the style and starting doing as much research as I could and finding out everything I could about. Of course, I still do this daily.

2. Why do you think steampunk has grown so popular over the last few years?

I believe as more people discover it, they share it with others, and then those people share it, and so on. I believe Conventions have also played a major role in helping people discover as well as share their love of all things Steampunk. Another reason I believe is that it creates another world for people to be free and creative in without being judged and to socialize with others that share in the same interests.

3. What inspired you to start creating steampunk jewelry/art?

I previously owned a store where I made and sold bead jewelry and art only. After a few years, I realized that it didn’t peak my interests or my creativity. It was around the same time I had stumbled onto Steampunk, and I decided that I should sell the type of things that I had much more interest in. I found that once I started creating Steampunk items, I was able to create a much better product to sell as I was much more passionate about the Genre and the Culture.

4. How long does it typically take to create a piece?

It depends on the size and the detail of the piece. Some can take an hour or two, while other pieces can take anywhere from a few days, a week or even a month. It also depends on my amount of free time to work on pieces. I’m a mother to a 4 year old, a wife, a full-time college student and I own and run 2 of my own businesses.


5. Out of all the steampunk pieces you've created, which one is your favorite?



Hands down, it would have to be my “Octo Buddies”, the little Octopus Figures that I create. Each one has its own personality, even when I create two that are of the same style, they each still have something unique to them.


6. Who's your favorite steampunk artist?


There are actually two artists that I greatly admire. As far as traditional art, my favorite artist is Brian Kesinger. His “Tea Girls” portraits have always been favorites of mine. When it comes to non-traditional art, Thomas Willeford creates some of the most beautiful and amazing pieces out of leather that I have ever seen, which makes him one of my favorite artists as well.


7. Are you working on anything exciting right now?


Always! I’m constantly scouring the internet and other sources for inspiration and new ideas to play off of. I enjoy coming up with and trying out ideas of new things to create on a daily basis. As of right now, there’s mostly jewelry and “Octo Buddies” in my shop. However, I am in the process of expanding my little store here in Ashland, KY. Some of the new items I have coming soon are muffs, bustles, goggles, top hats, masks, new jewelry and so much more! I’m extremely excited to create these new items and to put them in the store.

You can find Rachael at Steam City Treasures.

What do you think about Rachael's work? Let me know in the comments below!

No comments:

Post a Comment